Monday, March 1, 2010

My Home Away from Home

Do you remember the line in Splash where Eugene Levy says, "What a week I'm having!"? Well, that is kind of how I feel. What a long and surreal week this has been!

It all started late last Saturday night, February 20. Ron and I were at his sister's house visiting. It was late at night, which is odd for me lately, because I have been so tired recently and haven't been out late for a long time. I was sitting in a kithen chair and just adjusted and felt a big gush. I immediately looked at Ron and said, "Something isn't right!" With soaked pants and a big puddle on the chair, I ran into the bathroom. We determined that my water had possibly broken. We couldn't believe it because, I was barely 29 weeks. We left Lucas there in good hands and went to Intermountain Medical Center. After a few inconclusive tests, a few hours and then conclusive tests, it was determined that the water of one of my sacks had broken. When the doctor informed me that I would be in the hospital until my babies were born, I broke down and cried uncontrollably for quite a while.

After much more testing, talking to the doctor on call, nusres and high risk doctor I got a room in the hospital on the 2nd floor. I am currently one of three moms on the post partum floor that is actually antepartum.

This is a picture of my home for hopefully the next 3-5 weeks. I am currently 30 1/2 weeks along. The short term goal is to keep me here until I am 32 weeks. The major, long term goal is to keep me here until I am 34 weeks. If I can make it until 34 weeks, they will just take the babies at that time.

I have been through 2 steroid shots to mature the babies lungs, 2 days of iv antibiotics, 5 days of oral antibiotics, 9 nights of not great sleep, a talk with the NICU team scaring me with all that can be wrong with the babies, a talk with the social worker, several nurses, 4 residents, 1 medical student, 4 on call doctors, my doctor (whom I love and adore), TED hose, pumps on my legs to insure I don't get blood clots, being woken several times each night, random fluid leaking, daily non stress tests, 2 heart rate monitorings daily, wheelchair rides, mesh panties, a sore bum, several bouts of random crying and I am sure so much more.

All I can say is, it is all worth it. Knowing that I am doing all I can to keep these babies inside for as long as I can makes me fine with all I have and will go through. They have to keep me here to monitor me very closely. Things can rapidly change. They are watching for contractions, heart beat distress, low fluid levels or infection. If any of these happen, they will immediately take the babies. Thank goodness that I am at a top rated hospital with wonderful nurses, doctors and an excellent NICU.

Lucas misses his mommy but is doing surprisingly well. He has been spending a lot of time with his daddy and some family. I am so lucky that he can come visit. They just barely lifted the ban on patients children coming to visit about 2 weeks ago. I don't think I could make it through without being able to see him. I am also so lucky to have Ron. He is my rock and is the most amazing man in the world. He has not only had to be Mr. Mom, my support, the errand runner, the housekeeper and so much more, but he has also had to work full time. We don't want him to use all of his time before the babies are born. I love you more than words can say honey!

I just continue to pray daily that these babies will be fine and only need short term or no medical help. The doctors are very encouraging by telling me that babies born at this gestation do very well and each day and week that I am able to keep them inside is a high milestone.

I will try to keep updating and maybe even get a picture of me in my calf massagers! :) All I ask is to please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

Jeenyus10 said...

Hang in there sister! Prayers are coming your way!!!!

Sheena said...

Oh Shamie! I am so glad to hear that things are going as good as can be expected! I am hoping that I can come visit you soon. Between my boys and I we just can't seem to stay healthy and I don't want to risk getting you sick! Hang in there, you are such a great mom to those little girls already!

Randi said...

Wow you've been through so much! I have been wanting to visit, but I was sick and Embrie currently has rsv, (but getting better) so I can't even get a babysitter. I am praying for you I really hope all goes smoothly. I'm glad to hear that Lucas is doing well too! love ya!