Thursday, June 21, 2012

Finally! A Regular Beating Heart

On May 31, I had an ablation done to my heart.  Here is the run down on why.... While on bed rest at the hospital when I was pregnant with the girls, they found that I had an irregular heart beat.  It has never bothered me, until 3 1/2 months ago.  I started having frequent dizzy spells.  I wasn't concerned until it started to affect my vision.  After an echo cardiogram, EKG and wearing a heart rate monitor for 48 hours, they realized that I was having 24% extra beats.  Every normal person has 1%.  So in other words, I was having a LOT.  The cardiologist explained to me that I was a good candidate for an ablation, which would stop my extra beats.  I also was given the option of medicine.  I didn't want to be on medicine for the rest of my life, so Ron and I decided it would be best for me to get it done.
 
Contrary to the picture above, I was super scared the day of surgery.  I just kept thinking that they were going to be cauterizing my heart and could easily slip and make a mistake.  The doctor's assistant was very nice and helped calm me a little bit.  I went in for surgery and was only in for 2 hours.  They were able to find the area that was triggering the extra beats and cauterized it to make them go away.  I have felt so much better since.  I am so glad that I made the choice to have the surgery.

I have some great friends and family.  My parents and my cousin, Lindsey, brought us dinner Friday and Saturday night.  Ron's sister, Lisa, brought us amazing doughnuts from Beyond Glazed.  I even liked the Maple Bacon, even though I really didn't want to try it.  A group of my friends brought me flowers and yummy cookies from Costco.  Thanks everyone that helped my recovery go better.

1 comment:

Nicole Hernandez said...

That sounds so scary! I'm glad you're feeling better.